( 4UMF NEWS ) Bill Cosby Sues Sexual Assault Accuser:
While the spotlight was on Bill Cosby’s criminal court hearing earlier this month, the fallen funnyman was quietly pursuing a secret breach-of-contract lawsuit against the woman he allegedly assaulted in 2004.
The contract dispute complaint was filed Feb. 1 in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia against accuser Andrea Constand, her mother, two of her lawyers and the publisher of the National Enquirer, online court records confirm.
It remained under seal Wednesday, two weeks after Cosby tried but failed to have the criminal charges filed against him in December by Pennsylvania prosecutors dismissed.
Cosby’s camp declined to comment on the new lawsuit Wednesday.
Constand, 42, stepped forward in 2005 and said Cosby drugged and sexually assaulted her when she was a Temple University employee visiting his suburban Philadelphia mansion in 2004.
Prosecutors investigated but quickly declined to prosecute, leading Constand to file a civil lawsuit that ended with a settlement and confidentiality agreement.
Cosby’s new lawsuit against Constand, her mom and her lawyers appears to center on that privacy agreement and came just hours before her lawyer Dolores Troiani was set to testify at Cosby’s Feb. 3 criminal hearing.
The criminal case was revived after more than 50 women stepped forward over the last year and a half to say Cosby sexually assaulted them over the decades. Prosecutors filed the aggravated assault charge against the disgraced comedian on Dec. 30, just days before the 12-year statute of limitations expired.
The National Enquirer’s publisher was named in the filing because it was a party to Constand’s legal filings back in 2005.
Troiani mentioned during Cosby’s recent criminal hearing that Cosby had sued her, but she did not elaborate.
The judge hearing Cosby’s effort to dismiss the case warned his lawyers not to accuse Troiani of breaking the confidentiality agreement through her testimony because she had received a subpoena to testify.
Cosby’s camp argued during the hearing that he had a promise from the prior district attorney that he would never be charged over the encounter with Constand. The judge rejected his bid and said the felony case can move ahead.
Cosby, 78, is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on March 8.
Now free on $1 million bail, Cosby could face up to 10 years in prison if convicted as charged.
Troiani declined to comment on Cosby’s lawsuit.