Boston Bombing Fund Scammer Arrested
( 4UMF NEWS ) Boston Bombing Fund Scammer Arrested:
A woman who allegedly scammed nearly half a million dollars from a nonprofit fund benefiting the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings was arrested Friday, according to Massachusetts Attorney General Martha Coakley.
Audrea Gause, 26, was arrested in Troy, N.Y., where she lives, on a Massachusetts fugitive warrant, a statement from Coakley's office said. She is charged with larceny in Massachusetts
The nonprofit -- The One Fund Boston -- began distributing nearly $61 million to 232 eligible claimants starting June 30, according to a release from the organization.
Gause was awarded $480,000 from the fund after claiming she suffered a traumatic brain injury as a result of the Boston Marathon bombing.
Following a tip received by both the office of the state attorney general and The One Fund Boston that Gause was not in Boston at the time of the bombing, an official investigation began on Gause's claims, Coakley said at a news conference Friday afternoon.
"She was stealing money from the real victims of the Marathon bombing, and from the people who gave so generously to help them," Coakley said on Friday.
The One Fund Boston divided payments up between four classifications that were based on the severity of injuries or loss of life, according to the fund's statement.
More than 260 people were wounded and 3 were killed in the double bombings, which took place near the Boston marathon finish line on April 15.
There has been some indication that there may be others involved with Gause's fraudulent claims and the investigation is still ongoing, Coakley said.
Gause was being held without bail in the Rensselaer County Jail. Her next hearing is scheduled for Tuesday, Cooney said.
It could not immediately be determined whether Gause had retained an attorney.
Coakley's statement said her office, in conjunction with The One Fund, is reviewing all claims submitted to and paid by the fund.
- Fugitive Fake Boston Marathon Victim Arrested: Audrea Gause Collected $500,000 From Boston Marathon Fund Claiming She Had Brain Injury From the Blast Although She Was Not Even in the State That Time (katenews2day.com)
- One Fund fraud alleged - again (bostonherald.com)
- Woman Charged With Defrauding One Fund Of $480,000 (boston.cbslocal.com)
- Woman Posed as Boston Victim, Scored $480K: Cops (newser.com)
- Troy woman arrested for stealing from Boston Marathon bombing fund (troyrecord.com)
- XXXTENTACION Dead After Shooting
- Drake Drops Pusha T Diss Song
- Harvey Weinstein Charged With Rape
- Soccer Star Set To Marry Two Women
- Alexa Records Family’s Conversation
- 50 Cent Investigated By NYPD
- Harvey Weinstein Turns Himself In
- Playboy Model Jumps Off Building With 7-Year-Old Son
- Multiple Deaths Confirmed After High School Shooting
- Xscape Lands Their Own Show
- 4 The Missing
- 4UMF Exclusive
- 4UMF Sweepstakes
- Album/Mixtape Reviews
- American Colors
- Behind The Scenes
- Breaking News
- Business News
- Celebrity Blogger
- Consumer News
- Crime and Punishment
- Did You Know
- Entertainment News
- Fashion News
- Good In The Hood
- Guess Who
- Guys Guys Guys
- Health News
- Hip Hop Honeys
- In The Studio
- International News
- IV League
- Kush Chronicles
- Movie News
- Music News
- Music Videos
- On The Set
- Put On Blast
- Race Matters
- Reality Shows
- Red Carpet
- Red Handed
- Rumors Or Truth
- Seen On The Scene
- Shots Fired
- Sneaker Files
- Strange News
- Tech News
- Television News
- thats My Take On It
- The Scoop
- Top Ten
- Tough World
- Twitter Beef
- Video Games
- Video Throwback
- Watch It
- Weekly Gossip
- Word From The Streets