Dad And Seven Children Dead From Carbon Monoxide

Dad And Seven Children Dead From Carbon Monoxide

( 4UMF NEWS ) Dad And Seven Children Dead From Carbon Monoxide:

A Maryland man and his seven kids were found dead in their home Monday, likely after a generator, used to keep the struggling family warm while their power was cut off, leaked carbon monoxide, the man's stepfather said.

Princess Anne police discovered Rodney Todd, 36, and his kids, ranging in age from 6 to 13, at about 1 p.m., Todd's relatives said.

Todd's mother, Bonnie Edwards, ID'd the children as boys Cameron Todd, 13, and Zycheim Todd, 7; and girls Tynijuiza Todd, 15; Tykira Todd, 12; Tybree Todd, 10; Tyania Todd, 9; and Tybria Todd, 6.

“It was disbelief. It's so hard,” stepfather Lloyd Edwards said of hearing about the tragedy. ”He was an outstanding dad...To keep his seven children warm, he bought a generator, and the carbon monoxide consumed them."

Lloyd Edwards, said the power company shut the electricity off because of an outstanding bill and the father used a generator — which ran out of gasoline.

Money was usually tight for Todd, a utility worker at the nearby University of Maryland Eastern Shore, his family said. He struggled to buy birthday gifts for his children but always made sure to get them birthday cakes.

“I don’t know anyone his age who would have done what he did for his children," Bonnie Edwards said. “I was so proud to say he took care of seven kids.”

His supervisor, Stephanie Wells, said she filed a missing person report with police because she hadn't seen Todd since March 28. She knocked on his door Monday morning and no one answered, she said.

"He was a good person," Wells said. "He always did what he was told."

Investigators don’t suspect foul play, police said. The house was secure, and there was nothing out of place when detectives forced their way inside.

Delmarva Power spokesman Matt Likovich declined to say whether the company shut off Todd's power but said it was investigating.

People gathered near the home as the crushing news began to spread through the small town on Maryland’s Eastern Shore.

“Our community, our county needs your prayers,” Somerset County schools superintendent John Gaddis posted on Twitter.