( 4UMF NEWS ) Keith Lamont Scott’s Wife Releases Video Of Fatal Police Shooting:
Cellphone video taken by Keith Lamont Scott’s wife captured the broad-daylight encounter that ended the 43-year-old black man’s life and reveals a dispute between the woman and police officers over whether Scott was armed.
The video, released on Friday to NBC News and the New York Times, shows the tense moments that lead up to and after Tuesday afternoon’s fatal police shooting but does not show the shooting itself. Scott’s wife, Rakeyia Scott, can be heard pleading with cops not to shoot and insisting her disabled husband “has no weapon” while cops shout at the man to drop his gun.
The disturbing video emerged as unrest in Charlotte carries on into a fourth night of protesting and pressure mounts from both local and national officials for police to release dashcam footage of the shooting. A significant point of contention in the events that led to Scott’s killing is whether or not he was brandishing a weapon or pointing the gun at officers—a question the cellphone video does not answer.
Scott’s wife told the New York Times that she started filming when she left her house to bring a phone charger to Scott, who was sitting in his car where he would often wait for their children to come home on a bus.
“Don’t shoot!” the distraught woman can be heard yelling towards the Charlotte-Mecklenburg officers who are surrounding the car. The officers had been on their way to serve a warrant to another man living in a nearby apartment complex. Police have said that Scott refused to drop a weapon before he was killed.
An officer can be heard repeatedly yelling “Drop the gun!” at Scott before the pops of four gunshots ring out.
Rakeyia Scott reacts to the sound of shots in horror, screaming “Did you shoot him?” and later: “He better be alive!”
The cellphone video does not have a direct view of the shooting and does not reveal whether or not Scott had a gun on him. A gun was later recovered at the scene and a police source revealed to WBTV on Friday that the gun was loaded and was covered in Scott’s fingerprints and DNA.
Family and witnesses dispute that Scott had a gun, saying that he is disabled with a brain injury and was reading a book while waiting for his son to get off the bus. Rakeyia Scott is heard telling officers in the video that her husband has “T.B.I.” —a traumatic brain injury— and that he had just taken medication.
“He’s not going to do anything to you guys,” she says to cops just seconds before the shooting.
Attorneys for the Scott family released the video to both NBC and the New York Times as Charlotte police continue to resist the release of at least two police videos that show the police-involved shooting.
The Scott family viewed at least one video on Thursday night but said that it raises “more questions than answers,” according to their attorney, Justin Bamberg. Poilce have said that the videos do not confirm whether Scott was pointing a weapon at officers before he was killed.
In speaking about whether he would release the video, Charlotte-Mecklenberg police chief Kerr Putney said Thursday that “transparency is in the eye of the beholder….If you think I say we should display a victim’s worst day for consumption, that is not the transparency I’m speaking of.” Putney said that authorities would withold the video pending a probe into the shooting, which has been taken over by the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigations.
Charlotte mayor Jennifer Roberts initially stood by Putney in his resistance to release the video but said Friday that the SBI should make the footage public.
“I urge it to use every resource at its disposal to get this done and release the information to the public as quickly as possible,” Roberts said.
Protesters in Charlotte, N.C. took to the streets three nights in a row following Scott’s death to cry out against police brutality and demand the release of the video. Demonstrators chanted “release the tape” and “we want the tape” on Thursday, which marked a night of largely peaceful protests.
Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton joined the chorus of those demanding the video’s release when she tweeted Friday that “Charlotte should release police video of the Keith Lamont Scott shooting without delay. We must ensure justice and work to build bridges.”
On the other end of the political spectrum, former New York City mayor and Trump surrogate Rudy Guliani, agreed that the video should be released for the sake of “calming the public.”
“I think if they put out the film in North Carolina, maybe we could resolve this thing a little faster,” Guliani said to reporters outside Trump Tower on Friday afternoon.
North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory has deployed the National Guard and state troopers to Charlotte to assist local law enforcement with the ongoing protests.
Wednesday night marked the most violent demonstrations when police in riot gear launched flash grenades and tear gas at protesters.The night of chaos left one protester dead and multiple buildings damaged and looted.
The slain protester, 26-year-old Justin Carr, died after getting shot while immersed in a crowd of demonstrators. Raquan Borum was arrested Friday in connection to his death.
Mayor Roberts has imposed a curfew on the city barring residents from being on the streets between the hours of midnight and 6 a.m.