Mom Sues Daughter Over Lottery
( 4UMF NEWS ) Mom Sues Daughter Over Lottery:
A Brooklyn mom says her daughter skipped town with her $1 million lottery jackpot — and now she’s being forced to sue to get back the fortune.
“I felt like she stabbed me not in the back but right in the heart and twisted the knife,’’ mother Barbara Quiles, 51, told The Post on Tuesday.
Quiles claims that she “authorized” her then-19-year-old daughter, Linza Ford, to cash the winning $5 scratch-off ticket in 2012 because she was “too sick’’ battling lupus and borderline diabetes, according to her Brooklyn Supreme Court lawsuit.
“I’m the one who went out to buy the ticket with my money,’’ Quiles said. “I have a lot of witnesses.’’
The mother claims that the duo entered into a contractual “lottery agreement” in which Ford agreed to claim the money while Quiles maintained full access to the winnings — which, after taxes, worked out to $31,152 a year for 20 years.
“I felt that if I gave it to her to claim and if I [died], she would have access to split it between her two sisters,’’ Quiles said.
But in an interview with The Post, Ford vehemently denied her mom’s claims, saying the ticket was all hers.
“It was my ticket, signed by me,” Ford said. “I went to the office in the Bronx. She even went with me to claim the ticket.”
Ford appeared at a New York Lottery event in December 2012, telling reporters she felt “wonderful and blessed” over the win and planned on using the cash to re-enroll in Hofstra University.
The daughter says that the money was into her personal account — though her mother claims in her suit that she was supposed to have access to the money with a debit card,
Quiles’ suit claims that in April 2014, her card stopped working.
That same month, Quiles said that Ford just took off with the family’s terrier dog, Daisy.
Ford, however, said her departure was due to her mother’s psychological problems.
“Why I left had nothing to do with the ticket,” Ford said. “It had to do with her mental illness. If they knew her history they wouldn’t believe what she was saying about me.”
Seven months after she left, Quiles said that the account had been closed — and that Ford had withdrawn the remaining cash before .
Ford said the account was in her name and she was authorized to empty it. Meanwhile, Quiles said she’s mending a broken heart.
“My daughter got married on Saturday, and I wasn’t even invited,” she said.
- XXXTENTACION Dead After Shooting
- Drake Drops Pusha T Diss Song
- Harvey Weinstein Charged With Rape
- Soccer Star Set To Marry Two Women
- Alexa Records Family’s Conversation
- 50 Cent Investigated By NYPD
- Harvey Weinstein Turns Himself In
- Playboy Model Jumps Off Building With 7-Year-Old Son
- Multiple Deaths Confirmed After High School Shooting
- Xscape Lands Their Own Show
- 4 The Missing
- 4UMF Exclusive
- 4UMF Sweepstakes
- Album/Mixtape Reviews
- American Colors
- Behind The Scenes
- Breaking News
- Business News
- Celebrity Blogger
- Consumer News
- Crime and Punishment
- Did You Know
- Entertainment News
- Fashion News
- Good In The Hood
- Guess Who
- Guys Guys Guys
- Health News
- Hip Hop Honeys
- In The Studio
- International News
- IV League
- Kush Chronicles
- Movie News
- Music News
- Music Videos
- On The Set
- Put On Blast
- Race Matters
- Reality Shows
- Red Carpet
- Red Handed
- Rumors Or Truth
- Seen On The Scene
- Shots Fired
- Sneaker Files
- Strange News
- Tech News
- Television News
- thats My Take On It
- The Scoop
- Top Ten
- Tough World
- Twitter Beef
- Video Games
- Video Throwback
- Watch It
- Weekly Gossip
- Word From The Streets