updated 4:45 PM UTC, Dec 10, 2016

Officers Won’t Be Charged In Jamar Clark’s Death

Officers Won't Be Charged In Jamar Clark's Death

( 4UMF NEWS ) Officers Won’t Be Charged In Jamar Clark’s Death:

No charges will be filed against two city police officers accused in the fatal shooting of Jamar Clark in November, a prosecutor said Wednesday.

Police said Clark, a 24-year-old-black man, had reached for an officer’s gun during a struggle. The shooting set off a wave of protests in the city.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said evidence does not support charges against the officers, that DNA shows Clark was never handcuffed in the incident and that Clark’s DNA was found on an officer’s weapon, justifying the use of deadly force.

The announcement came about two weeks after Freeman said he would be making the final decision on the fate of officers Mark Ringgenberg, 30, and Dustin Schwarze, 28, and not a grand jury.

Members of Black Lives Matter Minneapolis and the local chapter of the NAACP held a press conference last week, saying a video released by the Minneapolis Police Chief Janee Harteau – in which she said there will be no tolerance for violence against her officers – was irresponsible and implied that the black community was violent.

In a video response, members of Black Lives Matter, NAACP Minneapolis and the Justice for Jamar coalition said the community is committed to peaceful protesting but also will fight for free speech. They planned a rally for Wednesday evening.

Source

Tagged under

Apologies, but no related posts were found.