Patient Burned In Surgery When Laser Ignites Fart


( 4UMF NEWS ) Patient Burned In Surgery When Laser Ignites Fart:

A patient passing gas during surgery ended up being burned after the laser ignited the fart, resulting in a fiery explosion, a report released Friday by the Tokyo Medical University Hospital said.

While doctors operated on the woman's cervix, she apparently farted — the laser igniting the emission. As a result, her lower body in particular was badly affected, according to the Asahi Shimbun.

"When the patient's intestinal gas leaked into the space of the operation (room), it ignited with the irradiation of the laser," the report states, "and the burning spread, eventually reaching the surgical drape and causing the fire."

A committee of experts charged with investigating the incident ruled that there were no other flammable materials present at the time of surgery and the equipment that was used did not malfunction, leading them to believe the woman's flatulence was the culprit.