Senior Citizen Dies After Mistaking Stain Remover For Coffee


Senior Citizen Dies After Mistaking Stain Remover For Coffee

( 4UMF NEWS ) Senior Citizen Dies After Mistaking Stain Remover For Coffee:

A senior citizen suffering from dementia died after making a deadly cup of coffee with poisonous stain remover by accident.

Briton John Guttridge, 83, was killed after mistakenly stirring in Vanish Gold Oxi Action instead of instant granules.

Guttridge and wife Anne, 79, were rushed to hospital after sipping the drink, where the pensioner passed away, reported the Daily Mirror.

Mrs Guttridge said she took a swig of the coffee and immediately tasted chemicals.

She survived and told Teesside Coroner’s Court that her husband first suffered a coughing fit before his symptoms became more serious.

Heartbroken Mrs Guttridge said she had endured a “dreadful experience” as she loved her husband very much.

She added: “He was just trying to help. Usually I made the coffee.”

A postmortem found Mr Guttridge died of chemical gastritis.

Recording a verdict of misadventure, acting senior coroner for Teesside, Claire Bailey, said: “I am satisfied Mr Guttridge intended to make the drink, however he obviously didn’t intend the outcome.”

Source