Sergeant Charged In Eric Garner’s Death

Sergeant Charged In Eric Garner's Death

( 4UMF NEWS ) Sergeant Charged In Eric Garner's Death:

An NYPD sergeant was stripped of her gun and shield Friday after she was brought up on departmental charges in the July 2014 chokehold death of Eric Garner, police said.

Sgt. Kizzy Adonis was placed on modified duty, although an NYPD spokesman could not immediately provide details on the charges against her. Adonis was one of the supervising officers at the scene of Garner's death during his arrest 18 months ago for selling illegal loose cigarettes. Charges are likely against a second NYPD sergeant, sources told the Daily News.

Adonis told investigators “the perpetrator's condition did not seem serious and that he did not appear to get worse,” according to an internal report by the NYPD.

But Adonis also said that she “believed she heard the perpetrator state that he was having difficulty breathing.”

Garner, 43, died after he was placed in a chokehold on Staten Island as an eyewitness videotaped the confrontation with cops. The man’s dying declaration — “I can’t breathe” — was captured on the cellphone recording and became a refrain for protesters demonstrating against police brutality.

Sergeants Benevolent Association President Ed Mullins said the charge against Adonis was bogus.

“It’s a bulls--- political charge, and Commissioner Bratton is pandering,” said Mullins. “That’s exactly what that is.”

Officer Daniel Pantaleo, who applied the fatal hold, remains on modified duty but has yet to face any departmental charges.

A Staten Island grand jury voted not to indict Pantaleo in December 2014, and a federal probe of the death is still open.

The NYPD planned to wait on departmental charges in the death until after federal authorities finished their investigation, a police spokesman said.

But Adonis was recently promoted to sergeant, putting her on mandatory departmental probation. Because of those circumstances, any NYPD disciplinary action was required within 18 months of the incident, said a police spokesman.

The NYPD requested and was granted permission by federal investigators to serve the charges.

Mullins said Adonis was only at the scene in July 2014 because she heard the call on the radio and responded — even though she was not required or ordered to appear.

“She didn’t have to do it,” said Mullins. “That’s the irony of it.”