( 4UMF NEWS ) Teen Dies From Brain-Eating Amoeba:
A brain-eating amoeba caused the fatal infection that killed a 14-year-old boy, 48 hours after he went swimming in a Minnesota lake.
Hunter A. Boutain was taken off life support Thursday morning at Masonic Children’s Hospital in Minneapolis, just two days after the teen contracted the deadly primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a pathogen that lurks in fresh warm water and can infect the brain by travelling through the nasal cavity, according to family and health officials.
Boutain was at Lake Minnewaska in Pope County on Tuesday, but hospitalized and unresponsive just hours later.
“We are praying for a miracle for this rascal,” the teen’s uncle, Bryan Boutain, wrote on the blog Caring Bridge Tuesday night.
“A miracle. A miracle. A MIRACLE. No matter how many times I whispered in his ear that I love him and that I wish he would be bothered enough by my buffalo-winged bad breath to punch me in the face…he does not,” Boutain wrote. “I mightily will him to do so. He does not. I beg him. He does not. I…, yet, he does not. Why won’t he? Come on, Hunter…say something smart to me! Hunter! Hunter? Hunter. Hunt…”
Apologies, but no related posts were found.